Penne Rigate with Eggplant
Meaty eggplant tossed with ripe tomatoes for a flavor-rich, hearty meal.
- 1 3/4 cup Luigi Vitelli Italian Peeled Tomatoes
- 1 pound Luigi Vitelli Classic, Organic or Gluten Free Penne
- 1 pound Eggplant
- 1 tbsp Chopped Garlic
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Finely Chopped Italian Parsley
- 2 tbsp Fresh Grated Pecorino Romano Cheese
- 2 tbsp Fresh Grated Parmigiano Cheese
- 1 pc Hot Red Pepper Flakes
Cut the eggplant in cube about 1 inch, fry and drain them on paper towels. In a medium size saucepan saute the garlic in olive oil over a moderate heat until the garlic is lightly colored. Stirring add the parsley, tomatoes, chopped hot pepper and the salt. Cook for about 25 minutes. When sauce is ready add the eggplant and cook for no more than 3 minutes. Cook the penne into 4 quarts of salted water. Cook al dente. Put the penne in a serving bowl, add the rest of the sauce, the grated cheeses (optional) and serve immediately.